Monday, November 30, 2009

Erma Bombeck

On our trip to Reno this last weekend I listened to the audio cd by Erma Bombeck "A marriage made in heaven, or too tired for an affair." It was hilarious. She told stories of their marriage and children. She talked about all the things that seemed terrible at the time, and now she was laughing about.

While I was listening, I thought to myself that I have had many of the same things happen to me. Our kids do the same things other kids do. Sometimes, I do dumb things. So does everyone else. In the end, everyone laughs about it.

So, the question is, why do we not laugh about it now? Why wait until later when we are looking back at our lives?

Is it that we are too uptight? Serious? Do we think that our whole lives or eternity are being determined every day of our lives? Does it really matter if our kids have one more M&M? I say half the things we worry and fight about are not worth the anxiety. Sometimes I think that the only thing we teach our children is to freak out over small things.

Lets laugh more now. It may be, like Warren Buffett says "It's like saving sex for your old age."

No comments:

Post a Comment