Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Arrogance

We can have many bad habits and character flaws. Most of these can be easily seen by us and others. After all, if we are dishonest, greedy, a moocher etc. it will eventually come out.

A harder one to diagnose is arrogance. I think arrogance starts out in a more noble way. We do an excellent job at our workplace or are especially successful in our relationships and we start to feel pretty good about ourselves. People pat us on the back. At some point it begins to cross the line to arrogance. At this point, we think that we did such a great job everyone knows how good we are, therefore we don't need to try as hard. "Everyone bow to me because I kicked butt last year." We stop trying as hard because after all, everyone knows how good we are, right? Little or dirty jobs suddenly are beneath us. No need to help others, that is not my job.

The problem with arrogance is that, unlike most other character flaws, it can be contagious to others. An arrogant person can infect an entire company or group and is really hard to get rid of.
Glad this isn't me. In fact, just about everyone I see is arrogant except me, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment